Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Checklist and Shakedown Runs



In this installment we have a new addition to the Wrench Junkies Roster.  Please welcome Mr Stephen Martin also know as PraiseCaster.
                                                                         The Man
 
                                                                      The Machine
 



 
     Checklists and Shakedown Runs.

I have in the past, built dozens of 2 and 4 stroke dirtbikes, and I learned my lesson about checklists at test runs back then: When the rear axle slides forward and the chain jumps and tears up a lot of stuff, it’s a lesson ya wont forget.
So on my first Chopper Build, before I ever turned a wrench, I had it burned into my brain cells:
Checklist-checklist-CHECKLIST!
Shakedown Run-shakedown run-SHAKEDOWN RUN!
The Checklist:
So as soon as I began wrenchin on my chop, I had my checklist, and it was monumental! Well, monumental compared to my dirtbike builds. But I visited my checklist several times each wrenching session. When items where completed, I checked em off. And when needed, I added more to the checklist. It was a living document during my build.
The checklist saved me a lot of time and frustration. While my memory is good, it is not flawless. A checklist, if properly executed is flawless.
Once every item on the checklist was finally checked off, and no more items where to be added (and I triple checked both, just to be sure), it was time for the next phase:
Shakedown Runs:
Now, I had heard several “interesting” (flux between entertaining and WTF?) stories of rides that transpired without sufficient (or non-existent) shakedown runs.
One story that I read on a chopper build forum, just stands out in my mind.
A first time builder put together his dream Bobber. He just just went on and on about how easy it was, and how he had zero experience, and he did such a stellar job and would put his build up against more experienced “old ladies” (his endearing term he coined for experienced chopper builders), because they just whine and cry about every little detail and get to frustrated.
Well late one Thursday night, his moment arrived: A little past 11 pm, his masterpiece came to life! So once he determined that his baddest of the baddest-badass bobbers was sufficiently warm, he hit the streets with her.
He jumped on the busy town boulevard, and started grabbing gears. Stretched the motor out. Telephone poles whizzing past him like they where on a picket fence, and he is totally exhilarated! His destiny is secured! He will be remembered as a god amongs……. “KABLOOEY!”
10 minutes and nearly 4 miles into his inaugural ride, and his mighty steed is dead alongside the road.
Couldn’t be any of his work, he reasoned. Try as he might, she would not come back to life. He lamented that none of his friends with a truck where up to help him. So he began the long arduous task of pushing his broke-down sway-back all the way home. He vented how he just KNEW it was shoddy engineering from the OEM (Original Engine Manufacturer). “That” is what brought down his Davinci of Bobbers! And he would reveal that too us, after he recovered from the soreness after pushing his master-piece home…..
Three days later he updated the sad state of affairs:
His mag cover fell off. His front brake had nearly fallen off. One of his footpegs was about to fall off. He now had a tiny little fuel leak by the petcock valve. Some electrical wires where burnt, and there was barely any oil residue inside his oil tank.
That was just the initial post mortem of his build, and it got much worse: Basically, top end was wasted, half the electronics needed to be replaced, chain was so slack he was surprised it was still on…….
Now it’s just my opinion, but that is no way to “prove” your build. Slapping it together, no quality control, and flying by the seat of your pants is not a plan. It is a recipe for disaster. “King Bobber-boy” was lucky that was all that happened to him, and he lived to tell the tale. It could have been far worse. I’m glad that the worst he got out of it was sore muscles from pushing his bobber home.
He could have avoided a lot of that by using a checklist, and the step after the checklist…….
Shakedown Runs:
I admit it, I am anal-retentive about shakedown runs. The checklist assures that I don’t forget to tighten things down, add oil, check the battery, etc……
If the checklist is the written is the blueprint for my build, the shakedown runs are the tests. They verify that my build is sound, everything works as it should, and it can uncover weaknesses either in design or my execution of the build.
I execute progressive shakedown runs, and each shakedown run must achieve a pre-determined goal before proceeding to the next step.
First one starts in the driveway:
Clutch, brakes, throttle. I can do a quick adjustment on the clutch, check and make sure the brakes are engaging with no leaks or hardware acting funky, and the throttle/idle is set. As soon as step one is satisfied, I move to the next shakedown run.
One or two neighborhood blocks, then back:
Now at most I can only get it up to third gear, but I use the brakes at low speed, turn right and left, shift up/down, have someone spot-check to see all brake lights are working as I go by.
Pull it back into the driveway and check for leaks, oil level/appearance and for anything that might have come loose.
I usually do this at least three times, first time slow and easy, second time pushing it a lil harder, and the third time getting on it kind of aggressively both stops, starts and turns. Each time checking everything out afterwards.
Next step is to take her out for a mile or two. I pick easy, less trafficy streets, but where I can make right/left hand turns, get her up to 35-40 mph, and run log about 10 minutes running around on her. Then its in to check again, but this time I am putting the wrench on every bolt/nut I can access shy of a tear-down. I check the chain for tension. Look closely at the rockers/axle on the springer and make sure they are at the correct torque value.
Again, I will do this at least three times or more (depending if I am discovering issues: fix em and repeat).
Expanded Shakedown Runs:
It’s time to really put her into the real world now and see how she does.
I’m gonna log about 10 to 15 miles on her on each run. I am selecting roads that are not all smooth as glass. I want at least 30% of the roads to have what I call garbage bubbling up from em: Washboard, cracks/grooves, little pot holes, railroad track crossings, dips. I also have to get to speeds around 45-50 (with a few bursts/stretches much higher), and with traffic.
I am looking at about 20 to 30 minutes a pop on her during these runs. Stops. Starts. Lotsa turns. Fighting with traffic/lights. Real world stuff. The only thing not thrown into the mix yet, is freeways/highways.
Again, at least 3 times putting her through her paces and checking on everything after each run.
The Final Shakedown Run: Time to hit the highway!
Now this run I schedule with a friend or two. I’m lookin at a run at least 30 to 40 miles round trip with one stop in the middle. The middle is first check and the return is the last check. If she handles this one, I am done, and she is fully road ready! Time to clip the tether, and let her run free!
Now some of ya all might be thinking that all these shakedown runs are a bit excessive and over the top. Yeah, I will concede, it is a tad bit much. BUT, I am really learning the characteristics of my chopper. I am really getting to know her well. I know where she excels, and I know her limits. I get a good sense of how she feels when everything is running good, and when not so good.
Also, this is a confidence builder for me and my chop. I wont have any nagging doubts bouncing around my skull. No “what ifs?”, : “Did I tighten that?”. “Is this ok?”, “What about……?”.
Nope, I have put that all to bed.
Now besides the normal due diligence and observations, I can now enjoy my rides. Feel the wind rushing around me, and enjoy riding with my brothers without worrying if I am going to be the one making everyone stop on the side of the road, because I am broken down because of something I did not check……..

1 comment:

  1. Check, check, and recheck. When rebuilding tractors. Especially after a major job. I would have a buddy check it over. Just to make sure I didn't miss something. Something about a fresh set of eyes can make a big difference. Especilly when working on a $100,000.00 piece of machinery.

    ReplyDelete